Sonic Super Special Magazine Issue 14 was intended to be the fourteenth issue of Archie's Sonic Super Special Magazine comic series. This version of the issue saw an extremely brief release digitally on the Archie Comics App in summer 2015 before the series went on what was only planned to be a hiatus. A planned relaunch of the series in March 2017, with a different fourteenth issue, never came to be due to the Archie Sonic series' discontinuation.
As Archie Action Comics races toward the WORLDS UNITE crossover event, prepare yourself with an all-new prequel tale: THE GENESIS PORTAL! When a strange energy signature appears on Sonic’s shattered world, what could it mean for our heroes and their fight to save the planet? And what ominous implications will this have for the WORLDS UNITE event? Featuring new story and art from the superstar Archie Sonic team! The SONIC SUPER SPECIAL MAGAZINE gives you the world of Sonic the Hedgehog comics as you’ve never seen it before, with tons of comic stories, special features and exclusive articles on the latest and greatest in the world of everyone’s favorite blue hedgehog-hero! This issue also features a special encore selection from the history-making “WORLDS COLLIDE” storyline, and much, much more! All this plus the extra features you love, an interview with Sonic newcomer Diana Skelly AND a super special shiny foil-enhanced cover featuring art by Sonic comic superstar Ben Bates!
- "Sonic Comic Origins: Into the Unknown" (FCBD: #9)
- "Control: Part 2- Unleashed!" (StH: #265)
- "Champions: Part 1- The Gang's All Here" (StH: #268)
- "Babylon Rising: Part 2- Reunion" (SU: #34)
- "The Chase: Part 2- Locomotion Commotion" (StH: #259)
- "Sonic Unleashed" (StH: #193)
History: Cancellation and Attempted Replacement
- This issue was first solicited with an intended release of March 2015, to proceed the Worlds Unite crossover beginning the following May. Due to problems behind the scenes at Archie Comics Publications, many titles (primarily those that consisted of reprints) began to be delayed. As a result, the issue missed its projected March release, after which no new release info was given. In the summer of that year, the issue saw an unexpected release on digital platforms such as the Archie Comics App, before being hastily removed from stores soon after, implying that the release may have been a technical error. As a result of the issue being delayed, the issue intended to follow, issue 15 which would've released in June, was similarly delayed. Issue 15's cover art and advertised Sonic Comic Origins story was later moved to Sonic Super Digest #15, which had led many to assume that the Super Special Magazine series had discontinued. After an absence of a year and half, a new Sonic Super Special Magazine #14 was solicited for a February 2017 release, with completely different content from this version. However, due to SEGA ending their partnership with Archie Comics, and the resulting discontinuation of the Archie Sonic series, this relaunch also never saw the light of day.
- The solicit for this issue was the first piece of media to showcase "Into the Unknown" and was initially believed to be the issue where it would debut. However it ended up debuting in Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2015 instead (due to the aforementioned delay and cancellation).
- "Babylon Rising: Part 2" was included to promote the release of the Sonic Universe: Babylon Rising graphic novel, which was set to be released around the same time as the magazines originally scheduled release but has since been cancelled.