It's Sonic versus Mega Man - Round One! The fight that every fan of both the Blue Blur and Blue Bomber has been waiting for is here at last, and it looks like Sonic's got the hometeam advantage! Can Mega Man cope with the Blue Blur in a land of loops? Meanwhile, Dr. Wily is concerned his old rival might cause problems, which sets Dr. Eggman's sites on Dr. Light! Don't miss a moment of this historic crossover event as the heroic fights and evil friendships rage on! Continues in this month's Mega Man #25!"
- "When Worlds Collide" Part Three of Twelve-No Holds Barred
This issue starts off with Sonic and Mega Man fighting. Sonic taunts Mega Man, bragging about how many robots he's smashed. Mega Man is confused about the readings he's getting, which say that Sonic is organic, but the blue bomber thinks there's no way something alive could be so fast. Sonic knocks a floating platform out of the air, and Mega Man leaps away just in time.
Nearby, Tails Man is watching the fight, and he asks the doctors Eggman and Wily if he should keep showing them the battle, which looks evenly matched. The doctors tell him to keep transmitting, as they don't want to miss the epic battle. They root for each other's nemeses for the obvious reason that they each want to be rid of their own nemesis. They then relax and have an evil bro fist. The Roboticized Masters (excluding Tails Man, who's still watching Sonic and Mega Man) come in with a Chaos Emerald, and Eggman gets super excited. The doctors add the emerald to their collection, which is only missing two emeralds now.
Meanwhile, Sonic and Mega Man are still fighting. They are becoming exhausted from the battle, and are each worried that they can't win. Then, Sonic dashes through the shuttle loop at a speed too fast for Mega Man to target him, then runs through the green hills, turns around, and boosts (rather than spin dashes) into Mega Man's back. The blue blur proceeds to bounce around on springs, taunting Mega Man, before knocking the blue bomber right off his feet with a well-aimed spin dash. Before Sonic can do a victory dance, Mega Man punches him in the face and tries to get to his feet, but he's drained from this battle and the previous one at the bank.
Meanwhile, Dr. Light and Auto are trying to see where Mega Man and the Roboticized Masters went. They are interrupted by Proto Man, who hands Dr. Light a device. It contained readings on the warp ring from Part 2. Roll, seeing that Proto Man is hurt, convinces him to stay and let her repair him.
Dr. Light makes the warp ring portal appear where it was before, and then begins trying to replicate it in the lab itself. In the Green Hill Zone, the warp ring appears out of nowhere. Mega Man is distracted long enough for Sonic to dash in and disable his "lemon shooter". Mega Man makes a mad dash for the portal, and Sonic thinks he's trying to escape. However, Mega Man tricks Sonic into going in with him. They both tumble through the portal.
The doctors, surprised by what just happened, order Tails Man to follow the heroes through the ring. Dr. Wily mutters to himself, mentioning "Thomas". Eggman asks him who that is, and Dr. Wily tells him about Dr. Light. The two doctors end up complimenting themselves and each other, but Dr. Wily still thinks Dr. Light is a problem. Bass and Metal Sonic volunteer to do the job of trashing Light Labs.
Meanwhile, Sonic and Mega Man tumble out of the warp ring, Sonic landing more gracefully. Sonic thinks he's in a city from the Sonic games until he sees a robot policeman. Mega Man calls for backup,and things don't look too good for Sonic as Rush, Eddie, Tango, and Beat arrive.
In another episode of Eggman and Wily's failed concepts, Eggman shows Wily a variant of Metal Sonic with a Mega Buster in place of its engine. A skeptical Wily invites him to activate it, only for Metal Sonic to unleash a powerful blast. Eggman jumps back from the attack, while Wily puts a hand to his forehead in exasperation.
- Dr. Wily: Don't sell yourself short. That rodent problem of yours is covered in spikes. Trust me--with over a dozen booby-trapped castles to my name, I KNOW that spikes are a problem for little boy blue. (A nod to various Mega Man video game levels.)
- Sonic: (thinking) What is that thing made of?! I've fought Super-Badniks, Gizoids, and war machines, but that robo-kid is in a whole other league!
- Mega Man: (thinking) Looks like he's gone into hiding--good! Gives me a second to cool down and recharge! He's not using something like Flash Man's Time Stopper. I can still track his movements--barely. But he's WAY faster than Quick Man, Nitro Man... any of them!
- Sonic & Mega Man: (both thinking the same thing at the same time) I may not be able to take this guy!
- Sonic: (after knocking down Mega Man) Sonic--one! Annoyingly tenacious robot--ZERO! So. Give up yet?
- Sonic and Mega Man continue to fight each other in the Green Hill Zone while being observed by Drs. Eggman and Wily.
- Dr. Light feels that something is wrong with the space-time continuum.
- Mega Man lures Sonic through a warp ring leading to Mega City, where the boy robot immediately calls for assistance in dealing with Sonic.
- The evil doctors set their sights on Dr. Light.
- This issues "Rivals Variant" cover features artwork of Shadow posing with Bass, a villain from Mega Man. The background is of the opening stage from the Super NES game, Mega Man 7, the very game, not to mention the very level, where Bass made his debut.
- Every issue from here on out would be released with a variant cover, a practice that had been confirmed by Paul Kaminski.
- During Sonic's internal monologue as he battles Mega Man, he mentions having previously dealt with the Gizoids. This marks the first time the robots have been mentioned in-canon (albeit not in main Archie Sonic canon). The fact that Sonic (in the "Genesis" reality) has apparently encountered them previously, is clearly a reference to the events of the game Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, and, to a lesser extent, Sonic Battle.
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 248 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 248 at Sonic News Network