Archie Sonic the Hedgehog 245 is the two hundred and forty-fifth issue of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
While the original solicit for this issue-as seen below-featured Lien-Da and the New Megaopolis Dark Egg Legion playing a significant part, they never appeared in the issue:
It's all-out war on Albion! Lien-Da's Dark Egg Legion battles Thrash's devil dog pack, with Knuckles and Team Fighters giving their all to control the chaos! The dark origin of Thrash is revealed, opening up a no-holds-barred throw-down with Knuckles!"
Endangered Species - Part Three
The issue starts with Sonic Spin-Dashing Thrash in the back,then tells him to bring the Echidnas back, or they will fight. Thrash tries to dissuade Sonic from engaging him, claiming that his quarrel with the Echidnas has nothing to do with the Hedgehog. Sonic disagrees and demands that he surrender, and Thrash replies with his super-sonic scream, which knocks Sonic into the air while Knuckles, Amy Rose, and Tails face Thrash's Devil Dog pack. Meanwhile, the Krudzu Hybrid Hydra, who used a Crabmeat body to travel to Albion and protect himself from being destroyed by water, finds the disabled intact Metal Knuckles and adapts the fallen Metal Series robot.
Knuckles and Thrash continue to fight, and Thrash explains how the Echidnas experimented with his kind, resulting in more Devil Dogs being born instead of Tasmanian Devils. In banishing them and leaving Knuckles as the last Echidna on Mobius, he considers justice to have been served: the two of them are both the last of their kind. Knuckles knocks Thrash down, only to be tackled by a Devil Dog, forcing him to call upon Team Fights for help. Following Sonic's directions, Amy and Tails start flinging and herding Devil Dogs toward one area with tornado like moves. Sonic then makes a kennel with fence posts, preventing the Devil Dogs from escaping and aiding Thrash. Thrash then decides to start using his super-sonic scream,but Knuckles makes his way up to Thrash after being knocked back, and punches Thrash into the air.
Elsewhere, a mysterious figure observes the heroes, and witnessing their apparent victory saying he doesn't need to reveal himself now. However, the K.H.H Metal Knuckles then appears and uses vines to grab and choke Tails and Amy. While Sonic and Knuckles battle Metal Knuckles, the mysterious figure says he can't get involved, and continues to observe while encouraging the heroes. Thrash manages to open his Warp Ring and escapes into it. Knuckles, noticing this, goes into the Warp Ring as well with Sonic's encouragement. Sonic manages to free Tails and Amy,as well as tangle the K.H.H's vines on its' hands. Sonic tells Metal Knuckles to give up, but he uses parts of machinery to make his form much bigger. Then, a yellow and black ball knocks him down with a spin dash, and reveals his identity: Shard the Metal.
The Krudzu Metal Knuckles appears in front of Team Fighters, boldly facing off with him. Amy tosses aside her Pico Pico Hammer, and announces that she will utilize her secret weapon. The Krudzu Metal Knuckles then flees in terror as she chases it with her "Pico Pico Shears", announcing that it's "Time for this Rose to prune!"
- Thrash fills in Knuckles on the history of his kind, explaining his personal vendetta against the echidnas.
- Metal Knuckles continues its battle with Team Fighters, now under the control of the Krudzu.
- Thrash flees the battle through his warp ring, with Knuckles chasing after him.
- An unknown figure observing the battle from the sidelines reveals himself after intervening and knocking out Metal Knuckles: the figure being non-other than Shard the Metal Sonic.
- Amy: You heard my man! Spinny thing time!
- Tails: We've got to call it something better than that...
- Knuckles: You took my family! The love of my life! You robbed it all from me because of your stupid, short-sighted obsession!
- Thrash: It's justice! It's what my kind is owed! It--!
- Knuckles: SHUT! UP!
- Krudzu Hybrid Hydra (possessing Metal Knuckles): Hey, Sonic, remember me?
- Sonic: No. Way.
- Shard: Yes way. Do you know how hard it is to track you guys down?
- Originally, this issue's cover did not have green vines covering the cables that are ensnaring Sonic. This was added to emphasize the Krudzu now being part of the ongoing story, in light of the legal matters that developed during this arc's production.
- Cover artist Tracy Yardley! posted the original cover inks of this issue on his Deviantart account , revealing that it was meant to include Lien-Da ensnaring Sonic with her whips instead of Krudzu vines.
- According to Ian Flynn, Shard played no role in the original version of the story.
- The Worlds Collide countdown on the cover incorrectly says 4 instead of 3. This same error is also present on the cover of Sonic Universe #48.
- In Germany, this issue was intended to be printed in Panini Sonic the Hedgehog #10. However, due to the low demand of the comics in Germany, #9 was the final issue, thus leaving the arc incomplete in Germany.