Sonic and Mega Man fight for their lives in 'When Worlds Collide': Part Eleven of Twelve! The evil doctors Eggman and Wily have completed their ultimate battle-weapon: the Egg-Wily Machine X-Powered by the Chaos Emeralds, it is the most powerful battle machine ever constructed! As our heroes do battle, Metal Sonic and Bass join the fray! Will the combined might of the Wily/Eggman arsenal be too much for Sonic and Mega Man to handle? Featuring a zone-shattering new cover from Patrick 'SPAZ' Spaziante and a special behind-the-scenes 'Pencil Ink Color' variant! Concluded in this month's Sonic the Hedgehog #251!
"When Worlds Collide"- Part 11 of 12" "Worst of the Worst"
As the battle between Duo and the Chaos Devil rocks the Wily Egg, Dr. Eggman and Dr. Wily put the finishing touches on the Egg-Wily Machine X, their alliance obviously strained as they continue to nag at each other. Wily fears that the disturbance will undo all their work, while Eggman informs him that the Genesis Reactor could destroy both their universes if it were destabilized. He encourages Wily to focus on getting their vehicle up and running, only to have him complain about the name. Putting aside their squabble, both secretly come to the same conclusion: that their partner is a liability that they cannot afford, and must eliminate. Meanwhile, in the Wily Egg's antechamber, Sonic and Mega Man are locked in battle with Metal Sonic, Bass, and Treble. Sonic is quick to taunt Metal Sonic, citing his many victories over the robot, only for his opponent to nearly strike him with an attack. The two then charge each other while Bass continues to blast at Mega Man while Treble attacks him head on. Mega Man manages to strike the robot wolf, enraging Bass, only for Sonic to get blasted and land injured nearby.
The two heroes quickly realize that they're being delayed by their rivals, and Sonic proposes "the ol' 'mix and match' plan", which Mega Man is unfamiliar with. After Sonic explains that the two of them simply trade opponents for a better match, Mega Man agrees and goes after Metal Sonic while Sonic takes on Bass. Unfortunately, the plan fails miserably, as Bass' rapid fire tactics and Treble's attacks prevent Sonic from getting out his favored banter, and a hard kick to the abdomen from Bass sends him flying. Mega Man finds himself similarly overmatched, struggling to land a hit on Metal Sonic due to the robot's speed, and having his one successfully aimed shot blocked by Metal Sonic's Black Shield. Metal Sonic quickly throws Mega Man against a large metal box in the room, where a retreating Sonic joins him. Realizing the plan's faultiness, Sonic proposes another strategy: focusing their combined efforts on one opponent before turning their attention to the other one, and employing all the weapons Mega Man acquired from defeating the Roboticized Masters. A game of rock-paper-scissors determines Bass as their first target, and Sonic attacks him and Treble while Mega Man equips Shadow Man's Chaos Cannon ability, calling upon Shadow's Chaos Control power to freeze Bass and allow Sonic to strike at him again.
Treble comes after Mega Man himself, and the Blue Bomber calls upon Silver Man's Psycho Burst, turning Silver's psychokinesis upon the robotic wolf before turning it on Bass as well. Sonic then delivers a heavy blow to Bass, while Metal Sonic-who had previously attempted to hit the two heroes only to embed himself in the crate they were hiding behind-goes after Mega Man. Caught between him and Treble, Mega Man activates Espio Man's Chroma Camo, and with all of Espio's stealth dodges out from between the two. He then equips Vector Man's Acoustic Blaster and turns Vector's music on Bass, allowing Sonic to strike again. Calling upon Rose Woman's Piko Hammer, Mega Man then strikes Bass a final blow with all of Amy's ferocity. With Bass out, the pair turn their efforts on Metal Sonic, Mega Man calling upon Tails Man's Tails Wind to stun him. Sonic delivers another blow to his robot enemy, and Mega Man follows up with Knuckles Man's Sharp Knuckles ability, striking Metal Sonic with a Knuckles-style punch. Still in fighting shape, Metal Sonic activates his Maximum Overdrive attack rams Mega Man head on, only for Mega Man to use the Rapid Stinger ability he acquired from Charmy Man to strike at Metal Sonic. Sonic then finishes the job with a Spin-Dash attack, leaving all three of their enemies conscious, but too badly injured to continue.
Weary but undeterred, the two heroes decide to face the doctors, only for the Egg-Wily Machine X to smash through the wall and easily overpower both weakened heroes with a mouth laser. Shortly thereafter, they awaken to find themselves in containment pods, facing the gloating doctors. Spotting the Chaos Emeralds nearby, Mega Man asks about them, prompting the doctors to launch into a brief rant that leads them to behave much as they did upon first teaming up-until they remember their growing antagonism. Sonic and Mega Man then reason that the doctors tricked them into pursuing the Roboticized Masters in order to give them time to finish their scheme, though the pair admit that their proposed contest was entirely genuine. However, their real plan has now been realized: preparing an even more powerful version of the Genesis Wave. Mega Man is quick to question why they would need another wave after their success in altering both Mobius and Earth 20XX, and the doctors inform him of the limits of their previous reality-altering attempt. They then announce their ultimate plan: to completely rewrite their universes using the power of the Emeralds, allowing them to become virtual gods. Furthermore, they intend to erase their enemies from reality, leaving no further opposition to their plan, which horrifies the pair of heroes. Meanwhile, outside the Wily Egg, the pair's battered allies-namely Dr. Light, Charmy, Espio, Vector, Proto Man, Blaze, Rush, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Omega, Silver and Rouge-stand surrounded by the Robot Masters.
Bass, standing with Metal Sonic, declares that the heroes may have previously defeated them, but that now they will face their combined power. The pair are then shown playing electric guitars, with the billing "Metal and Bass!" Sonic rocks out to their song, while a surprised Mega Man admits that he was expecting them to fuse together as Bass usually does with Treble.
- Sonic (to Metal Sonic): Give it up, man! I've beaten you in every race, every fight, and even that time you turned into that stupid dragon-thing!
- Sonic (about to attack Bass): Time to drop the bass!
- Wily: Ahh! Sonic is awake, and Mega Man is back online!
- Eggman: Now that's what I call a hard reboot!
- Sonic: Oh, hey! Instead of finishing us off, you kept us alive to gloat over!
- Eggman: Crushing you is easy! Crushing your spirit is worth the extra effort!
- Sonic: You're so corny.
- Wily (about the Super Genesis Wave): With certain limitations. We could only tweak the timelines, only bend the rules here and there.
- Eggman: With this wave, we can reshape everything! Rebuild our universes to the tiniest details!
- Wily: We won't simply be correcting our worlds...
- Eggman: We'll be GODS!
- Both: And once we erase you two from all reality, THERE WILL BE NO ONE LEFT TO STOP US!
- Eggman and Wily complete construction of the Egg-Wily Machine X, while secretly planning to eliminate each other.
- Sonic and Mega Man battle Bass, Treble, and Metal Sonic, and manage to achieve victory over them.
- The Egg-Wily Machine X defeats the weary heroes, and both are captured and brought to the Genesis Reactor.
- Wily and Eggman explain their plan to rewrite their realities entirely, allowing them to erase the heroes from existence.
- Mega Man and Sonic's allies are surrounded by the Robot Masters.
- This issues "Pencil, ink, color" variant shows the regular cover as it transitions through the creation process, starting from the pencils at the bottom, and moving up through the inking and the final coloring at the top.
- This marks the most consecutive covers for Sonic Universe drawn by Patrick Spaziante, making for a total of five in a row, a streak that began in #50.
- This is the first Sonic Universe issue to be penciled by Ben Bates.
- Wily makes the exclamation "Great ghost of Ford!" during the issue. This is likely intended as a reference to Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.
- Sonic mentions his various defeats of Metal Sonic, including when "turned into that stupid dragon thing!" This is a reference to Metal Overlord, the final boss from Sonic Heroes, who has yet to appear in the comic due to Sega being opposed to his inclusion. Metal Overlord has also been noted as one of Ian Flynn's least favorite Sonic characters.
- The Off Panel strip plays off the musical theme of several Mega Man character names, and jokingly identifies Metal Sonic with the Metal style of music.
- According to writer Ian Flynn, an early draft of the issue involved Bass fusing with Metal Sonic (in the same way Bass could fuse with Treble in the Mega Man games). Flynn went on to state this was in fact the only idea for the whole crossover to be shot down by Sega and Capcom. The idea was alluded to in the issues Off-Panel strip.
- When Sonic and Mega Man attack Bass, Treble and Metal Sonic, Mega Man uses every Roboticized Master Weapon except for Blaze Woman's Fire Tornado and Rouge Woman's Black Wave. Silver Man's Psycho Burst is also the only weapon that he uses twice.
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 54 at Mega Man Knowledge Base
- Archie Sonic Universe Issue 54 at Sonic News Network