Archie Sonic Boom Issue 11 is the eleventh and final issue of the spin off Sonic Boom comic series.
Follow up after the "Worlds Unite" crossover with a BOOM in this explosive final issue! "Eggman Gets a Gorilla": When Dr. Eggman's regular robotic enforcers just can't cut the mustard, he hires some additional help! (Because, seriously, how hard is it to cut mustard?) Introducing the mighty, Kyle the Gorilla! Is he really the next Ape wonder of the world? Or will Sonic get yet another reason to point and laugh? You'll be pointing and laughing too with the concluding issue of Sonic Boom!
- Eggman Gets a Gorilla
- True Stories
- The fact that this would be the final issue of the series was originally never stated when the solicit was first released. The first hint to such came when a second version of the solicit was released, causing confusion. Archie Comics immediately confirmed via their Twitter feed that this was in fact the final issue.
- This is the first and, as a result of it being the final, only issue in the series to contain two stories.
- For this issue only, the tagline beside the title on the cover saying "Based on the new hit video game and TV series!" has been changed to remove the "video game" part. This is likely due to the fact that, for all intents and purposes, the video games Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal were in fact poorly received by critics and most fans alike.
- The final page of the issue tells the reader to look out for new Sonic Boom stories in Sonic Super Digest and Sonic Super Special Magazine. This info was likely published before Archie Comics decided to cancel the latter.
Cameos and References
- On the intro page, one of the graffiti on the side of Sonic's desk reads "SONIC SMELLS!" were somebody has come along and written "good :)" underneath. This is a reference to the SpongeBob Squarepants episode "Sailor Mouth".
- The "91" in "Eggfan91"'s name may be a nod to the year the original Sonic the Hedgehog game was released, in 1991.
- "Eggfan91" in general is likely a nod to the Sonic fanbase overall, who have become somewhat infamous for being overly critical.
- When Eggman comes to Sonic after receiving Kyle in the mail, the logo on the cup Sonic is drinking from appears similar to that of the "Sonic" restaurant chain (unrelated to the character himself).
- When Amy is trying to karate chop the smilebug, a seashell bracelet can be seen on her desk. This is the same one that her Sonic X counterpart made for Sonic in episode 9 of the Sonic X TV series.
- When Knuckles buys the pile of hats, the hat at the bottom of the pile is the starred fedora he famously wore in the Sonic the Hedgehog OVA.
- When Eggman arrives on Sonic's doorstep and the latter asks him what bad thing he's done, Eggman produces his own copy of this very issue and tells Sonic to read what happened for himself.
- Sonic points out that the concept of there being "animal control" would "be an absurd hypocrisy in this universe", directly acknowledging that he exists in a world of anthropomorphic animals.
- During the montage of him messing things up at Sonic's house, Kyle falls through and shatters Sonic's text bubble.