Archie Knuckles the Echidna Issue 32 was the thirty-second and final issue of the spin-off Knuckles the Echidna comic series.
- King of the Hill: Part Three of Three - "To the Death"
Knuckles leads Monk to the Hydro City to hide from Hunter. They still have trouble cooperating -- Monk pushes Knuckles off a ledge and Knuckles cracks jokes at Monk's expense -- but work together to stay out of Hunter's path. On the Floating Island's surface, Hunter tracks their footprints and finds the path to Hydro City. He hears water down the passage and is impressed, thinking they may make for a challenging hunt.
Meanwhile, Locke and Archimedes search Hunter's yacht. Locke is surprised by the lack of alarms or any sort of security system when the craft's computer console activates, announcing that the vehicle is locking down and will self destruct. Locke panics and tries to deactivate the bomb, but fails. Archimedes teleports him out of the ship before it explodes.
Hunter closes in on Knuckles and Monk, tracking them down from their torchlight. They ditch their torch and head up a ladder, into the more complex parts of the waterworks. Hunter is uncertain about what to do next, feeling a rush of excitement, but braces himself for a counter-attack. Knuckles and Monk move across the pipes on the upper levels, preparing an electric cable for a surprise attack, but Hunter shoots the cable out of Knuckles hands. As Hunter lines up the killing blow, Monk makes his way further up the pipes, causing Knuckles to reel in pain, fall to a lower level and dodge the shot.
Monk attacks Hunter, pinning him to a catwalk, but Hunter manages to zap him and throw him to his death on the ground below. Knuckles is enraged and his Chaos powers activate, snapping the collar, disassembling Hunter's weapons and armor and knocking the Overlander out. Locke and Archimedes arrive in Hydro City soon after and spot Hunter as well as Knuckles examining his new, deceased friend, Monk. Later, in Haven, Locke is surprised to see that Hunter hasn't moved since he was placed in his Prison Pod and suggests moving him to a cryogenic chamber. Knuckles disagrees, wanting him to suffer for what he did to Monk and Snowpigeon.
- "The Worst of Enemies"
Espio sullenly submits to Valdez, offering to tell him everything he knows about Knuckles and help him obtain the Master Emerald if he releases the other chameleons. Valdez refuses to be treated like a fool and demands that Espio take them to Knuckles and the emerald first. Espio leads Valdez, a roboticized Liza and a few Shadowbots through the forest, trying to appeal to Valdez by reminding him of the first time they met Knuckles. Espio continues to appeal to old memories as part of a charade, asking Valdez if he remembers that the emerald is stored in the Echidnaopolis sewer systems.
Espio heads into the sewers quickly, gaining a head start on the others. When they arrive, he has disappeared. Valdez demands that Espio show himself, but a trapdoor opens beneath him. Valdez falls to the lower levels, where Espio engages him in a fight and pulls him into the rushing water. Liza and the Shadowbots are unable to find Valdez or Espio in the aftermath. Not long after, Espio frees the captured chameleons, telling them that Valdez is gone. He destroys the vehicle that was holding the chameleons and promises to not let outsiders drag the people of the Floating Island into their wars.
Pinup Pages/Activity Pages
- Pro Art
Knuckles takes a shower and wearily makes his way to a press conference. At the conference, the paparazzi ask him all about his latest battle. Knuckles thinks to himself that he hates post-fight news conferences. Written by Michael Gallagher, pencils by Dave Manak, inks by Jim Amash.
- Valdez: "Don't think I'm not a chameleon of my word, my friend! You've now sealed everyone's fate!"
- Espio: "Don't call me your friend! NOT ANYMORE!!!"
- Monk is killed by Hunter.
- Knuckles' latent powers activate, disabling Hunter.
- Hunter is imprisoned in Haven.
- Espio saves the captured chameleons and presumably defeats Valdez.
- This issue's cover is the third part of a three-part image.
- Knuckles the Echidna #33 and #34 were originally intended to tie in to the Sonic Adventure storyline in the Sonic the Hedgehog series and SSS #13. Due to this series' cancellation, these issues were split into four different stories, printed in StH #79 - 82.
- An early cover design for Knuckles the Echidna #33 was created before the series was cancelled. An altered version of this cover was used for StH #80.
- Knuckles defeats Hunter by unleashing the Chaos energy in his body. This foreshadows his later transformation into Chaos Knuckles.
- Despite this being his last major apperance in the comic series, Valdez make background cameos throughout the series.